With World MS Day 2015 now gone for another 365 days, I shared a few words yesterday about one of the things I hardly ever talk about in regards to my own MS: the day I woke up without sight in my left eye, and the subsequent fear of permanently losing my eyesight.
We use our eyes to learn, navigate, assess and appreciate. They help our brain understand our environment and sometimes, as peculiar as it sounds, we use them to listen.
Louis Braille, Stevie Wonder, John Milton, Jorge Louis Borges, Galileo Galilei, Eamon de Valera, Johann Sebastian Bach and many others had eyesight issues. Some managed to produce works of pure genius like John Milton did when he wrote his epic Paradise Lost after he became blind at the age of 43 in 1651. He bent a negative event into a positive one, something that many since Milton have done, and done well.
When one or both your eyes start being a nuisance, you certainly feel apprehensive. I’ve been wearing glasses since age 6, and contact lenses since age 19. I should be well-used to handling them so, but I am acutely aware of the tricks eyes can, and in fact, do play.
Does it scare you so if your eyesight gives you trouble?
Eye diseases are legion, and not every condition has proper treatment. I am utterly afraid of losing my eyesight completely. The pleasure I assign to them is felt every minute of every day. Reading a book, watching the sun set behind the mountains, seeing a flower open during the day, catching those few rays of sunshine in grey clouds… I am often in awe of the images my eyes capture and send to my brain. These images tease and taunt, are overjoyed or full of sorrow, want more or have enough.
Sadly though, eyes also have a way of turning on you, and can cause discomfort, anguish and in worst case scenarios, sadness. One of the first MS symptoms I had was felt when talking, when sharp stabbing pain in my ear would cause me to yelp out loud. Other times, I would feel the same kind of stabbing-with-an-ice-pick pain in my eye when sudden loud noises were heard.
Another symptom was added during a recent day in hospital where I was once again a test subject in exams for already established doctors. In order to gain another diploma, they had to examine people with different conditions, and some of the doctors saw slight nystagmus in my left eye.
My first reaction? “Ah sure, I’m in great hands with at least 20 doctors to examine me, find out which symptoms I have, and what illness and treatment they could provide.” We all have to deal with eye issues at some stage in our lives and the sooner things are diagnosed, the better. In order for this to happen, we need to listen to the adult in our head and kick out the childlike fear of doctors poking your eyes.
Nevertheless, we can’t give our eyes the same leeway we give to mere muscle pain, for example. As soon as you feel your eyes are behaving in a whimsical manner, have them examined by a professional. After all, eyes cannot be put in a cast. They are precious and literally irreplaceable.
Two months ago, a contact lens went missing while trying to take it out. It felt as if it was stuck to my eye, so I tried loosening it up with eye drops and contact lens fluid. No such luck. I ran a very clean finger over my eyeball, trying to feel where it was. I thought I saw it in the outer corner of my eye, and tried pulling it off. Again, no such luck.
After letting the initial stress rest for a while, I tried again. Still no change. I thought I had it between my fingers, but it later emerged that what I thought was my contact, was in fact the outer layer of the white of my eye. And it hurt. Badly. As if having trigeminal neuralgia wasn’t bad enough that day, I tried peeling my eyeball as if it was an onion. Not my finest mistake, but definitely the most stupid one.
I decided to leave it be and contacted several opticians in the neighbourhood, but since it was a long weekend, I had to tap into that patience-pool again. At this stage my eye felt raw, it was quite red and well, an eyesore.
After a few days, the raw feeling disappeared, and the redness was also less prominent. It turned out that the contact lens had fallen off my fingers while trying to remove it, but I didn’t see where it ended up. Eventually I opted to have my eyes checked out by an optician, and since then I’m wearing glasses a bit more now. I’m still a big fan of contact lenses as nothing beats their comfort, but I’d definitely more aware of how easily eyes can be damaged.
Moral of the story? Don’t mess with your eyes. Have them looked at by a professional, an optician or orthopist doctor in hospital.
WorldPress Daily Post: A Mystery Wrapped in an Enigma: Tell us something most people probably don’t know about you.
Espiritu en Fuego/A Fiery Spirit A Mystery Wrapped in an Enigma
Espiritu en Fuego/A Fiery Spirit A Mystery Wrapped in an Enigma
Creo Somnium What Makes A Mystery?
Carolyn’s Online Magazine Betcha’ Didn’t Know …I Once Was Part of a Bellows-Making Company
Old Murky Heart Happy? State of mind.
Twenty Two Leaf Clover The Wonderfully Blank Pages
It’s All in Finding the Right Words A Mystery Wrapped in an Enigma
The Little Talks in Her Head Poets
A Peaceful Blog
Musings from the cold Daily prompt post: A mystery wrapped in an enigma
Deb’s world A mystery wrapped in an enigma – who me?
A Paper Universe Sassy Sensitivity
Madge I’m actually a woman :)
Sic itur ad astra Lobus frontal
shame I am my mother’s wild future
That’s My Answer! Daily Prompt from WordPress: Linger
Instant Human A Mystery Wrapped in an Enigma
Now and Forever Being Left Handed
J9’s Next Chapter Really? Are you sure? Is this a phase?
luckyestgirlever May 28: A Mystery Wrapped in an Enigma
Beelines And Crawls The Unnatural Fear
Barbara Pyett Mysterious Enigma: Spreading the Words
Rosie Rambles I am a closet Opera Lover …sssh close your ears
Willow’s Corner Nuthin’ mysterious about me
Destino Enigma: Daily Post
Margret’s life journey A Mystery Wrapped in an Enigma- Secrets
lifelessons – a blog by Judy Dykstra-Brown Mysteries in our Middle Lands
Conscious and Breathing My Internal Monologue
Random Storyteller I Was a Mannequin in a Cannonball-Bed Window Display #TBT
Daily WordPress Posts A Mystery Wrapped in an Enigma
The Essence Of Being Melancholy Daily Prompt – A Mystery Wrapped in an Enigma
Beelines And Crawls The Nature’s Play
It is all smoke and mirrors – Love Life Without Fear
A Word Adventure Mystery Wrapped In an Enigma ~ Secrets
writingindevizes The gift
My Life, My Way, My Words A Mystery Wrapped in an Enigma
Me – Who am I? Mystery Me
The Rad Blog 20 Min Secret Chas Rad
Geek Ergo Sum I’m a Criminal, or A Mystery Wrapped in an Enigma.
The Blog’s the Thing! Caught up in a Fantasy…
Land of Images A Mystery Wrapped in an Enigma – Speed Freak
Traveller on a Mission Travel, love and politics: the naive book I wrote when I was 14 but never published
Stowe It! (or knot) Relapse is a Part of Recovery. NOT.
What does nelkumi think? ねるくみの頭の中 labyrinth
Chasing Life and Finding Dreams Brink of Madness or Edge of Greatness? I Have Three Arms! Okay Not Really |
A lot from Lydia Depression
~X~Y~Z~ ~First little crush.
Emotional Fitness 3 TIps to Avoid Being Victimized by False Expectations Appearing Real –
Snapshots, Snippets and Scribbles Most People Don’t Know…
Angela Seager Images Blogging 101: Introduce Yourself To The World
MY OWN PRIVATE IDAHO A Mystery Wrapped in an Enigma
Thought Process of a Rare Neuj
The Gad About Town An Actor’s Life?
unbolt a Double Portion
To Wear A Rainbow my mystery…haiku
Dreaming Wordz The cloaked sovereign
The Reluctant Scribbler Do you want to know my secret?
Flowers and Breezes My Secret to Tell
Diet, Yoga, Energy My Favorite Hobby: Jewelry Making (Hobbies For Happiness)
holes in my socks N.H.B.?? and Un-sexy talk.
Thoughts from the Front The Unopened Book…
An Upturned Soul Getting to know nothing about you…
laughtermedicineforthesoul THE ENTER-VIEW PROCESS!
lifeinsidetwentythreesmiles An inch near to me ..
The Cat Chronicles Daily Feline Prompt: Felines are a Mystery
Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss A Mystery wrapped in an Enigma – Yes, I am enigmatic
thelonerose Not Shy Anymore
Impromptu Promptlings An apple a day…
Izzy-grabs-life THAT MOMENT WHEN THURSDAYS (16)
Riley Central People Across the Sands from My World
A Simple Life Take Me Seriously!
Relax Crickets, anyone?
Branded Value You don’t know me!
Purrrdy Panda’s Reflection Spot Tell us something most people probably don’t know about you – #TheDailyPrompt #Blog
Carlos Cunha Code Brown
SERENDIPITY ENIGMATIC WOMAN OF MYSTERY
- The Wandering Poet Through..
- Random Brain Musings That Time I Almost Killed Myself
- looking back from 50 A Mystery Wrapped In an Enigma
- THE ICONOPHILE The Beast with Five Fingers
- Designer Sophisticate Riddle, Riddle.
- The Voice Of My Conscience… Daily Prompt- A Mystery Wrapped in an Enigma: Specialis Revelio
- 20DreamGirl Finding Home
- I’m a Writer, Yes I Am You’re Kidding, Right?
- The Bob Files Daily Prompt – A Mystery Wrapped in an Enigma
- Clips & Snippets Boggler
- Vexing Point A Mystery Wrapped in an Enigma
- Just Writing! Shy Girl
- TheGEorgIApRncESs A Mystery Wrapped In an Enigma
- From Balderdash To Epiphany. I Might Be Exaggerating
- Zombie Flamingos Time flies!
- Life of Mon You may not know this but…
- Cancer Isn’t Pink How Many People…
- Right to the (Pen’s) Point A Mystery Wrapped in an Enigma
- Natasha’s Memory Garden A mystery wrapped in an enigma
- A VERY STRANGE PLACE Daily Riffed 6: We’ve Already Reached The Point Where I Can Only Associate In Sad Critics
- Ericka Mercado Revelations
- SERENDIPITY Mirror, Mirror – A Ghost I See
- life n me! A Mystery Wrapped in an Enigma
- My Experiments with Words Mystery (Daily Prompt Challenge)
- ACT. REACT. or just THINK about it! READ…Franz Kafka=cockroach story
- The Nameless One A Mystery Wrapped in an Engima
- the theory of everything A brief history of my (several) urine related incidents (Part Three)
- Nanuschka’s Blog I am no mystery – the mystery is inside of me!
- Three Hundred Sixty-Five Day 332. Big Reveal
- The Drowning Octopus A Mystery no Longer, or, the first chapter of my latest abandoned novel.
- sukies original Mysterious
- Random Encounters of an Inquisitive Mind Its all out in the open
- a former clarity Believe Me, I’m Lying
- huntprayerpoems A Mystery Wrapped in an Enigma
- Vagabond A Mystery Wrapped in an Enigma
- mindurspirit Little Known Facts
- (a)typical amateur Babel
- Dancing in the rain! Daily Prompt-A Mystery Wrapped In A Enigma
- Path Discoveries … my deepest, darkest secret…
- family photos food & craft 3.7 A Mystery Wrapped in an Engima
- Infinite Awe The Gentle Giant
- MKG- Memories-Keepsakes-Gifts A Mystery Wrapped in an Enigma
- tuckedintoacorner What Are You On About?
- A Sign Of Life The Mystery Is That There Isn’t One
- Reclaiming My Narnia Dream Job Was a WHAT?
- Joseph Rathjen What You May Not Know “About” Me!
- The Blogging Path A Mystery Wrapped in an Engima
- Chicomallorca’s Blog A Mystery Wrapped in an Enigma
- One Starving Activist Daily Post Meets For the Promptless, Season 2 Episode 8: The Mystery of Cryptids
- Taking One Day At A Time It’s A Mystery
- Musings of a Budding Filipina Mom to a Half-Blood Kid A Mystery Wrapped in an Enigma
- djgarcia94 I don’t like to talk about this but…..
- Expressions A Mystery Wrapped in an Enigma- Curious Connect with Televsion
- Vampire Maman Mysterious Friendships
- A Day in the Life Who Knew?
- prettywitgla33es A Mystery Wrapped in an Enigma
- My dog is a mystic “pack leader” |
- Journey Called Life … Summer!
- Overcoming to Becoming The Healing Place
- Hamburg und Mee(h)r Mysterious
- Sam’s Online Journal I Was At Disney Senior Night (or Not)
- The corner of my imagination A Mystery Wrapped in an Enigma
- mommy&everything A Mystery Wrapped in an Engima
- No Facilities No Mystery – I am a Fan of the Twilight Zone
- the TRASH BASH the UNCATEGORISED …
- Script Under Construction A Mystery Wrapped in an Enigma
- clarior e tenebris Limerick for Denise
- Dog Leader Mysteries Writing Fiction: Mystery and Enigma
- ayimas Why Would I?
- Quirky Brunette A Mystery Wrapped in an Enigma
- Pieces of the Puzzle What You Don’t Know About Me
- Spontaneous Ditties The Thin Line Seperating Madness and Creativity
- Spunky Wayfarer Mysterious me
- hastywords A WAR NEVER WON
- Curious Jac One thing you might not know about me? I’m filled with ‘rage’
- SERENDIPITY A Mystery Wrapped in an Enigma – Who is she?
- I really just pretend to know stuff Jeckyll and Hyde
- Khana’s Web A Mystery Wrapped in an Engima: The Early Days
- Let There be Peace on Earth A Mystery Wrapped in an Enigma
- Cytherean Dreams I’m Really an Introvert
- theconsciouswriter The Criminal Psychology and Me
- Mama Bear Musings A Mystery Wrapped in an Engima
- My Daily Prompt Blog A Mystery To Solve?
- Впечатанные Мысли Ведем ежедневник: Тайна, окутанная мраком.
- Lewis Cave Nobody is Perfect
- clarior e tenebris No More Mysteries
- bheehappy A Mystery Wrapped In An Enigma
- mentalrollercoaster Chef Mental Rollercoaster
- cinnwriterblog Full-blooded American Dane
- Slam on the Brakes, Pull Over, Take the Picture A Purple Haze of Mystery
- Vivir, que no es poco Fear on the bridge
- My Tiny Thoughts The creature of mystery, fantasy and ultimate beauty!
- unknowinglee A Mystery Wrapped in an Engima
- Haiku By Ku A Secret…
- floatingsheep Is There Something in Those Layers?
- Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss A Mystery Wrapped in an Enigma
- Thin spiral notebook Big bad George
- Iam Who Iam The Key to My Secret
- meanderedwanderings Pay Me No Mind . . .
- BLUE BEAD PUBLICATIONS Shhh!: Daily Prompt
- The Cheese Whines The Enigmatic Mystery of the Real Cie
- I’m A Mystery Catherine B.’s Blog
- burnedbutternut Apparently, I should not admit this in public . . .
- unknowinglee A Regular Michaelangelo [A Mystery Wrapped in an Engima]
- A couple of dollars The insolvent graduate
- Postcards from A Mystery Wrapped in an Engima
- George and Nigel A Mystery Wrapped in an Engima
- Relax… Wild thang
- suzie81’s Blog A Mystery Wrapped In An Enigma
- hometogo232 A Mystery Wrapped in an Engima
- downtownnokomis Crunch, Slap, Sploosh
- Tony’s Texts My Little Secret
- Under the Monkey Tree A Mystery Wrapped…
- The Rider Ode to the Fountain Pen…
- The Jittery Goat Jacob’s Secret (short fiction)
- thoughtsofrkh Mysterious
- Mindful Splatter A Mystery Girl
- To Pursue Happiness What To Do With My Free Time: A Mystery Wrapped in an Enigma
- Faraziyya A Mystery Wrapped in Engima
- The Happy Hermit The Phone Call from Russia
- ThisCornerOfTheWoods A Mystery Wrapped in an Enigma
- Becoming Aussie What a Yank!
- Daily Prompt: A Mystery Wrapped in an Engima I, the Replacement
- The Magic Black Book The Facade
- Books, Music and Movies : my best friends Mysterious
- Geek Ergo Sum A Mystery Wrapped in an Engima – I’m a criminal
- Musings from a practical mystic Waiting for the flight to