Patience and persistence is key when you first start blogging. Why you want to write publicly is totally your idea, how you do so is by using WordPress and its many users’ intelligence.
Almost 2 years into my blogging adventure, I still find it an amazing tool to get your voice heard. When I started blogging, I simultaneously wrote on Blogger as well as on WordPress just to find out what was the perfect tool for what I wanted out of my blog. After blogging on both for a while, I became very dissatisfied with the lack of settings Blogger had in comparison to WordPress. The choice to drop my Blogger profile was an easy one to make, and to this day, I am still amazed at what WordPress offers its bloggers.
When starting a blog, it’s easy to find fantastic themes and widgets to go with your blog. Match your content to your style of background, for example if you want to blog about history, it would make sense not to use a background of people partying, or if you want to blog about something serious, don’t use one that is perpendicular to the content of your posts. Play around with themes, upgrade to have Custom Design added to your themes and/or buy a Premium Theme and if you can afford it, have WordPress give you a designated domain name (web link name).
WordPress offers so many themes and layouts that in my case, I’ve changed themes so many times I fear I am playing with my readers and followers patience and understanding a wee bit. Why I say ‘understanding’ is because of one of the main topics of my blog: living with multiple sclerosis and its many very and utterly annoying symptoms like eye trouble. My eyes seem to dislike the rest of me and often have me wearing sunglasses indoors or when I am writing on my laptop because of the brightness of black letters on a white background. It is causing the often-heard “Aaaaargh…” when I realize I have been writing, researching, reading newspapers or Facebooking too long. However, that cannot be a reason to annoy my blog followers because they are my backbone and because of them I want to keep improving my writing, my blog and my online presence. We live in an online symbiosis and like any other company, the owner has to respect the rights of its clients. This means that no matter how much I love playing around with WordPress themes, I have to respect the needs my users expect of me.
That aside, what I also want new bloggers to know is to be patient. We all secretly want to be the next Dan Brown, Shakespeare or other literary marvel, but unless you come forward with answers to why Egypt’s sphinx really has such a small head, or know the answer to the true identity of God or if you have content so revealing, interesting and ready to be published by the biggest names in the business… you… need… to… be… patient…
Don’t be alarmed when you have few readers and followers at first. Keep writing, check other people’s blogs to see what works for them and don’t be discouraged if it takes you a while to get your mojo. Like I always say: Rome wasn’t built in a day either. Or in two.
Another thing is not to be afraid to write what you believe in because after all, freedom of speech is what we all strive for, and if it’s important to you, it just might be important to someone else.
Also, don’t be afraid to ask questions in the weekly Community Pool, which is sent to WP users every Sunday where you can ask others what they think of your blog, and if they have any tips to improve your blog. If you want to find out where your strength as a writer lies, take part in the Daily Post and Weekly Post challenges, it is a fantastic way to finding out if you prefer one or another writing style, what you like writing about and whether you can write ‘on command’.
Lastly, don’t forget to Publicize your posts by going to your Sharing Settings so you can link your blog to your Facebook profile, Twitter, LinkedIn, Tumblr and other social media websites. This will impact greatly on the amount of people visiting your blog, and otherwise, just be annoying for a while and tell all your friends and family that you are now a blogger on WordPress (been there, done that… I fear my family and friends are still going through Billie-phobia).
Good luck with your new blog and please feel free to ask any questions or post other comments, and do come back regularly to see what I am up to on WordPress. I always check back in on your blog to do the same!
Written as Daily Prompt challenge of May 7, 2013: http://dailypost.wordpress.com/2013/05/07/daily-prompt-key-takeaway/
Give your newer sisters and brothers-in-WordPress one piece of advice based on your experiences blogging.
- The People Who Live Inside The Bar Chart | The Magic Black Book
- Unique Outlook | Travellin’ Thru Rambles
- Daily Prompt: Key Takeaway | JUkk
- Daily Prompt: Key Takeaway | بيسان
- May 7 Daily Prompt: Key Takeaway | Nadeen’s Reading Corner
- Read (Not Just Your Stuff) | Daily Prompt: Key Takeaway | likereadingontrains
- Interests first, readers second. | Phelio a Random Post a Day
- Daily Prompt: Key Takeaway | A Glimps of HOPE
- Things that matter | writemybrainsout
- Daily Prompt: Key Takeaway | The Following | The Writing Righter
- 7:5 Daily Prompt: Key Takeaway | family photos food & craft
- 1 Introduction: Daily prompt | Sofie’s Diary
- Daily Prompt: Key Takeaway | HpWpBp
- Best Blogging Advice Money Can’t Buy | The Jittery Goat
- Blogging | Hope* the happy hugger
- The burning question | Right Down My Alley
- Be yourself. | The Unthemed Nook
- Daily Prompt: Key Takeaway | writinglikeastoner
- Daily Prompt: Seeking Advice | My Daily Prompt Blog
- Daily Prompt: Key Takeaway « Mama Bear Musings
- Learning from Blogging | The Nameless One
- Breaks… | Haiku By Ku
- My Personal Blogging Post-Mortem | Eyes Through The Glass – A Blog About Asperger’s
- Daily Prompt: From a new comers perspective | thatissogoingonmyblog
- be true to who you are | thematticuskingdom
- 10 Things I Know to be True | Polyprotic Amory
- A Blogger’s Say Behind The Lens | the world behind the lens
- Daily Prompt: Key Takeaway | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- The key to blogging: Respect (Daily Prompt) | The Rider
- Content is King | Recis Dempayos
- Patience and persistance (WordPress Daily Prompt) | Ireland, MS and me
- Daily Post: Takeaway -Questions | Essence of Del
- The Key Takeaway | Happy Clam
- The Little Bit I Can Give You to Takeaway « Overcoming to Becoming
- Daily Prompt: Key Takeaway | Playing for Time
- Daily Prompt: Key Takeaway 7th April 2013 | ittikorn1994
- Takeaways – Questions | Essence of Del
- Take “The Bear’s” Advice | Forever Autumn
- Thoughts on blogging | Spunky Wayfarer
- Daily Prompt: Key Takeaway « Ate the Peach
- Your best friend | Pigments of Life
- What every blogger should know | Sue’s Trifles
- Daily Post: Takeaway, Without a Box | One Starving Activist
- Do you read me…over (Daily Prompt) | liveuntil
- May 4 Daily Prompt: It’s a Text, Text, Text, Text World | Nadeen’s Reading Corner
- Part II – Question to Fellow Bloggers « Overcoming to Becoming
- If it’s written, it’s meant to be read – 3rd installment |
- Daily Post–Advice for New Bloggers « disappearinginplainsight
- Daily Prompt: Key Takeaway | The Blogging Path
- Daily Prompt: Key Takeaway — Capture the Mist | SERENDIPITY
- Follow Me Widget | Sisters of Christ
- What in THE hell!?!?!?! | Wrapped up in Wonder Woman’s lasoo of truth!
- To blog or not to blog…. | Military Bride
- Daily Prompt: Key Takeaway | Diary of Dennis
- Daily Prompt: Key Takeaway | The corner of my imagination
- My Keystone for Blogging | Colline’s Blog
- Blogging Advice From The Fish | Fish Of Gold
- Daily Prompt: Key Takeaway | An Unlikely Gypsy…
- Please, answer this question.. | Lily Mugford
- Nuggets of wisdom | Mainer Chick’s
- Daily Prompt: Key Takeaway | Basically Beyond Basic
- Bombarded with “Shoulds”: Step 2 of the 12/12 Challenge | Off Go the Panties
- Don’t do as I do, do as I say | Seriously Seeking Grannies
- Advice to Bloggers – Do a Porn Post! (Sort of) | Waiting on a Word
- Daily Prompt: Key Takeaway | A Visceral Life
- Another Day in Paradise | Wiley’s Wisdom
- Daily Prompt: Key Takeaways | Dee’Lectables
- Daily Prompt: Key Takeaway | Meet Online
- WP DP…can I give you a little piece of advice my blogger bro? | ACT. REACT. or just THINK about it!
- Daily Prompt: Key Takeaway | life n me!
- some tips for blogging | Daily Prompt: Key Takeaway | Reunion
- Riddle me this… | Catching Happy
- Daily Prompt: Key Takeaway | Lines by Linda
- Daily Prompt – Key Takeaway | Escape from Chaos
- Daily Prompt: Blogging 101 Lecture – Write it down | vicariously in love with you
- Daily Prompt: Key Takeaway | Jake Kuyser
- Math and Stats | Conversations
- Daily Prompt: Key Takeaway | Overcoming Bloglessness
- Overdue Success | Life, Love, and the Pursuit of Happiness
- To blogger with love: welcome to Blogville! | 365 wings of hope
- Experienced Bloggers and Finding Your Why | rarasaur
- Daily Prompt: Key Takeaway | monruecha
- Daily Prompt | junsung93
- Daily Riffed | A VERY STRANGE PLACE
© Willeke Van Eeckhoutte and Ireland, Multiple Sclerosis & Me, 2011-2013. Unauthorised use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner are strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Willeke Van Eeckhoutte and Ireland, Multiple Sclerosis & Me with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.