An old book is lying next to me, and it calls me to pick it up and read it. The imperfections of it make me feel as if this book has lived, and that it wants to be cherished for a long time to come. The cover is wrinkled, the pages discoloured and I sense that a lot of time thinking about the content has happened. It is beginning to have that old book scent, the scent only loved by true bibliophiles.
It makes me want to visit my old library again, imperfect because all available space has been filled by other books, yet cherished because I know every corner of the library and what hides in them. The old, creaking seats I used to sit in, to fall under another book’s spell. Imperfect yet loved because the books are not completely sorted by the usual Dewey library classification system and I want to start putting them the right way… happy memories of classifying hundreds and hundreds of books, cherishing the fact that each one had a story behind the story. Imperfect yet liked because it was often a lonely place, leaving me time and space to drift away between rows and rows of knowledge. People stay away from libraries these days and choose instead of the books of old. Imperfection to me will always be the introduction of digital book readers because books still deserve to be cherished, softly handled and looked at with surprise and admiration. Each one of them has been a work of art, hard labour and soft musings of hopes and dreams.
Imperfection is I, not being able to work in a library anymore. A library is a quiet yet very revealing imperfection, because it will never be able to hold all the books in the world, and it will only show its contents to those who really want to see it. Yet I cherish it because it makes me yearn even more for unpublished and unread books.
I hope that the fact that my own imperfections will maybe lead me to the day when I can write a book as good as those I loved for years: James Joyce, William Butler Yeats, Oscar Wilde, William Shakespeare, the old teenage books I so loved growing up and many more.
My cherished imperfections will always be books, old and new, badly written or not, mishandled and forgotten.
- Where’s My Daily Prompt? Anyway Here’s What I’m Doing | The Jittery Goat
- Daily Prompt: An Imperfection to Cherish | Cytherean Dreams
- Daily Prompt: Imperfection | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Daily Prompt: Imperfection | My Daily Prompt Blog
- Perfection is overrated | The Psychic Diary
- Daily Prompt: Imperfection | Reviewer Rose
- Daily Prompt: Imperfection « The Blogging Path
- Imperfection | thelissachronicles
- I is also for Imperfection | The Cheese Whines
- This Old Four Square | Kansa Muse on Micro Farming and More
- Daily Prompt: Imperfection | Basically Beyond Basic
- If you find someone perfect, RUN! | Standing Ovation, Seated
- Grist for the Mill | paul scribbles
- Imperfection | At least we made it this far…
- 10|4 Daily Prompt: Imperfection | Family Photos Food & Craft
- I’m No Angel | Wiley’s Wisdom
- Daily Prompt: Imperfection | Dianaruth’s Journal
- Daily Prompt: 4/10/13 | One for the Big Guy.. sometimes.
- Daily Prompt: Imperfections | C Tonight
- Daily Prompt: Imperfection | JUkk
- Daily Prompt: Imperfection | My Atheist Blog
- Are you a freak like me? | Kind of a Bum
- Perfect in its Imperfection! | Chasing Rabbit Holes
- Just imperfectly, perfect… | Hope* the happy hugger
- DP – Imperfection | Life With Pink Princesses
- Daily Prompt: Imperfection | huntprayerpoems
- Procrastination – good or bad ? | Very Very
- Imperfection is Life’s Perfection | The Nameless One
- Fascinatingly imperfect | Pen Kisses Paper
- Cracked Reflections.. | Head full of Fluff
- My Favorite “Imperfectionist” | The 4 A.M. Writer
- Daily Prompt: Imperfection 10th April, 2013 | ittikorn1994
- On perfection and other dumb ideas | La Hacienda’s Weblog
- Loyalty can be a Fault | Daily Prompt: Imperfection | likereadingontrains
- (Un)Broken | Pigments of Life
- Daily Prompt: Imperfection – My Instincts! | My.Vivid.Visions
- Love Yourself and Your Imperfections | Life, Love, and the Pursuit of Happiness
- It’s subtle, but obvious enough to me | thoughtsofrkh
- Imperfections | Miss Pelican’s Perch
- Daily prompt – Imperfection – The numpty with a camera and a laptop
- Twenty-Ninth Thing | Make 52 Things
- The imperfection of books (Daily Prompt) | Ireland, MS and me
- April 10 Daily Prompt: Imperfection | Nadeen’s Corner
- imperfection | think | architect
© Willeke Van Eeckhoutte and Ireland, Multiple Sclerosis & Me, 2011-2013. Unauthorised use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner are strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Willeke Van Eeckhoutte and Ireland, Multiple Sclerosis & Me with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.