The word “hero” is often misused, declaring celebrities as the one we have all been waiting for. We attribute them a talent or other star-like characteristics we do not know if they are real once they close the front door behind them.
Real heroes are at work every day: rescue workers like firemen, doctors and nurses in overcrowded hospitals or war zones. Oftentimes heroes are just like you and me, saving a child from being run over by a car or caring for animals who were abandoned by their owners.
When I think of heroes, I think of firemen, especially those that made incredible sacrifices on 9/11. When they ran up 70 flights of staircases with heavy tools strapped to their backs, they knew there was a real chance they would not make it out alive.
Yet, some did.
Sadly, some didn’t.
Some time ago I stumbled upon a web page showing staggering 9/11 photographs in Time Magazine by James Nachtwey, a photo journalist and war photographer. When I noticed how tiny rescue workers were against the backdrop of a huge pileup of wrought metal, human bodies and utter devastation, it was clear what rescue workers were up against.
In my humble opinion, heroes are born and made of people who are willing to go beyond what is asked of them in order to save lives.
On 9/11, the world stopped turning for a while.
Heroes were born and died on 9/11.
This is for them.
© Willeke Van Eeckhoutte and Ireland, Multiple Sclerosis & Me, 2011-2017. Unauthorised use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Willeke Van Eeckhoutte and Ireland, Multiple Sclerosis & Me with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.
WordPress Daily Prompt: Heroic
When you were five years old, who was your hero? What do you think of that person today? Photographers, artists, poets: show us a HERO.
- Morning milk delivery | Vintage Photography
- covet | yi–ching lin photography
- Where were You – the Power of Forgiving | A Teacher’s Blog
- Siegfried Sassoon, Hopelessness and Iraq | As I please
- Feeding The Monster | The Jittery Goat
- daily prompt: heroic | aimanss…
- Daily Prompt: Heroic « cognitive reflection
- DP Daily Prompt: Heroic | Sabethville
- Daily Prompt: Heroic | Incidents of a Dysfunctional Spraffer
- 5 Year Old Hero – The Engine that could. | L5GN
- Heroic | Geek Ergo Sum
- Daily Prompt: Heroic | Finding Life
- The Portal – A Friday Flash Fantasy | My Little Avalon
- Heroic Visions | THE OVERCOMING
- Tail Business and Heroes! Daily Prompt… | alienorajt
- A Little Girl’s Hero « My journey to qualify for the Boston Marathon…and everything in between…
- Daily Prompt: Heroic | tnkerr-Writing Prompts and Practice
- The Dad Who Didn’t Have To Be | theauthorwhoknows
- Daily prompt: Heroic | laura-in-china
- My Childhood Hero | all my likes
- My Dad, My Hero | A mom’s blog
- Daily Prompt – Hero. | My Beautiful Messed Up World.
- Even Heroes Can Wear Thin « Mon Cache
- Are You A Hero in Your Home? | Ako Si Ehm Blog
- The Dark Knight | Sébastien Grobelny – Photography
- Hanging with the Guys | Nicetomeetyou:I’mCourtney
- Daily Prompt: Heroic | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Of becoming your own hero/ heroine. | Concentrate On Yourself
- Mr. Rogers Was My Hero
- Moon, Moon on the sky…….Watch Me Die | Shadows Of The Divine
- Daily Prompt: Heroic | Basically Beyond Basic
- My Heroes | Flowers and Breezes
- Still my hero | Life is great
- Heroic : My 5 Year Old Self. | ♥Barb’s Magical Land Of Oz♥
- Who Says Heroes Have to Wear Capes? | meanderedwanderings
- The Forgotten Hero | Dance with the Rain
- Lawrence of Arabia/Daily Prompt-Hero | I’m a Writer, Yes I Am
- MY HEROES WEAR MASKS – HI YO SILVER! THE LONG RANGER RIDE AGAIN! | SERENDIPITY
- babusya | peacefulblessedstar
- MY HEROES WEAR MASKS – THE LONG RANGER RIDE AGAIN! | SERENDIPITY
- Daddy | The Magic Black Book
- Still my hero | From Five to Fifty
- My First Post-marital Blog Post | Vagabond
- Five’s Hero.. | Relax
- A Father’s Enduring Love | Lisa’s Kansa Muse ~ Dreamy abstraction in a 100 year old Four Square Farm House
- Heroic | The Story of a Guy
- I don’t remember being five | dreaming of melville
- Hero | LOQUACITÉ
- Brianne Writes
- Heroic | The Nameless One
- When Being a Mommy Supersedes Being You | Transforming Mommy
- Super Mario can do anything | “The Ish,” presented by the Bohemian Rock Star
- Heroic behaviour | Fictionalism
- Heros all | Exploratorius
- Neil Armstrong — RIP and Godspeed | Exploratorius
- Dying A Hero’s Death | Parents Are People Too
- There’s No Such Thing As Superman | Must Be This Tall To Ride
- First Hero | Dreams to Reality !
- Heroic | Just for Fun Drawings
- Looking Up | HAPnHAP
- OUR HERO… | The Christian Gazette
- Daily Prompt: Heroic | Nicole Sloan’s Writing
- Underdog | Bright Tuesday
- Daily Prompt: Heroic | The Uncustomary Housewife
- Oh Captain, My Captain! | Daily Prompt: Heroic | A Room of One’s Own
- Heroic | Wicked Words
- Finding Hero | The Sex Bandit
- Become Your Dog’s Hero: Photo Friday | Dog Leader Mysteries
- Daily Prompt: Heroic | Occasional Stuff
- Astro Boy – Hero of Manga and Anime | Travel with Intent
- Daily Prompt: My Four Legged Hero | Reclaiming My Narnia
- S. Thomas Summers | The Wisdom of Trolls
- Heroic | Life as a country bumpkin…not a city girl
- Forever Heroes | Life Love Lily
- Heroic | Dhikrcave
- Super Mommy | martha0stout
- My Anti-Hero | charlottesville winter
- Country Singers, Girl Power and Annihilation- oh my! | Emotional Resonance and Rocket Launchers
- My first word was: Tata | ivymosquito
- Daily Prompt: Heroic | Lines of Orenda
- ‘What doesn’t kill you…’ | Rima Hassan
- Daily blog prompt “Hero” | The Wandering Poet
- Daily Prompt: Heroic | Lux
- They Just Aren’t Made Like That Anymore | Call Me Incorrigible
- We Don’t Need Another Hero | Finale to an Entrance
- Not So Much a Hero | Shades of Teal
- Curtsies and Handshakes | field of thorns
- The Daily Prompt: Heroic | Joseph the Procrastinator
- My Hero | Making Life an Art
- Burning brightness | TJ Barker
- Staying In Focus: Daily Prompt: My Hero | Staying in Focus
- Oh, Tarzan! | Overcoming Bloglessness
- Silent Guardian; Watchful Protector | Club 30
- Heroic | The Adventures of Jonathan Dumlao
- Daily Prompt: Heroic ~ NaBloPoMo – January 11, 2014 « Mama Bear Musings
- Pinay New Yorker | Daily Prompt: My Hero then
- My Hero| It will always be You | vic briggs
- Not So Much a Hero | Boxes
- Daily Prompt: Heroic | Reflections and Nightmares- Irene A Waters (writer and memoirist)
- Heroism and Moving Forward.. | Life Objectified.
- Daily Prompt: Heroic | Nola Roots, Texas Heart
- Heróis dos cinco anos | Sonhos desencontrados
- Superman! My Hero… | The untold, the unsaid…
- I Didn’t Just Wake Up This Morning with a Craving
- O meu Super-Herói aos cinco anos | Sonhos desencontrados
- The hero-less five year old | Rob’s Surf Report
- #DailyPrompt: Heroic | Jottings and Writings
- On Dumbo and Genuine Admiration | Like Ocean Waves
- Returning To Those Thrilling Days of Yesteryear | uddza
- Daily Prompt: Being Heroic! | All Things Cute and Beautiful
- Daily Prompt: Heroic | adorablyobnoxious
©Willeke Van Eeckhoutte and Ireland, Multiple Sclerosis & Me, 2011-2014. Unauthorised use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Willeke Van Eeckhoutte and Ireland, Multiple Sclerosis & Me with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.